The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 1, 2022

February 5 - 7, 1984 Carmen's 21st Birthday

 

Sunday, February 5, 1984 Carmen’s 21st birthday

 

A miserable day. Snow, cloudy, rain. I didn’t do too much. I started in on the puzzle today. Kim came up and she helped. She sure was down in the dumps. I don’t know what her problem was. Everyone has dumpy days I guess. She finished the puzzle before she went home. She had supper with us. Betty and Walt and Zak out for supper. Zak is getting better. Carmen and Alan called, they had been to a friend of Carmen’s for a birthday supper. She likes the people so much where she works.

 

 

 

Monday, February 6, 1984 No School

 

It is been a little of all kinds of weather. It was snowing when we got up. It snowed, sun, rain. Kids home from school, it is very icy in many places. I did my wash, done up the regular work. Betty came up, we worked on the postcards. She is filing them so they can be seen without being packed away. I ironed in PM. Alan, Carmen called in evening to get milk. Carmen applied for that state job. She is very wise to do it. She will have good pay working for the state. I hope she gets it. Walt was quite upset that she might not apply. He has such good ideas for them.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 7, 1984

 

Bill to NCM hospital for test etc. with Dr. Poliner. He didn’t make it because he made a mistake on the appointment (Dr. Poliner did). I made some diet peanut butter cookies for Billie. I made a chocolate pudding. I did a wash. I watched TV soaps and started a new puzzle. Some clouds and some sun. Not too cold a day. Billie over to see Arlene Mayberry and her husband.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment