The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, November 19, 2022

April 9 - 11, 1984

 

Monday, April 9, 1984

 

Cloudy and cold. I didn’t do too much. I did my ironing. Billie and Betty to Norway. Betty had errands to do. Billie got his water fountain. Bill not too good, bed all day. We had a dite of sun. Dorothea and I down to see Fern. She seems better. Betty down after supper.

 

 

 

Tuesday, April 10, 1984 Rinse on my hair

 

A cloudy cold miserable day. Snow flurries and rain showers. I done up my work. Watched my TV shows. Betty called. I put a rinse on my hair. Billie put the water fountain in the barn. Betty called, too cold for her to clean shed chamber she said. Bill bed all day. He is okay, his appetite is good now. Fern called Dorothea, she has had an upset day.

 

 

 

Wednesday, April 11, 1984 Bill to NCM Hospital, BOUGHT NEW ELECTRIC STOVE

 

On the cloudy side, cold in a.m., in PM it got warmer. Bill to the hospital for blood, he has had a real bad cold, has been quite sick. I went to Norway with Betty and Billie, we bought a new stove (white). Came home, watched TV programs. Had a roast pork supper. Betty and Walt up in evening after Betty and I got back from NCM hospital and they moved out the old electric stove. Fern is much better. Billie bought the stove.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment