The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, November 24, 2022

April 28 - 30, 1984 Daylight Savings Time ~ Nanny is not a fan!!

 

Saturday, April 28, 1984 beautiful day, Billie all done fencing

 

A very nice hot day, sunny. I did my Saturday work, made rolls, cake and beans. Carmen here, she is all shook up about Alan. They are breaking up for a while. It will be for the best. He is not dependable or a reliable planner for the future. Time will tell. Bill and I called at Dorothea and David’s. They have a beautiful home. They both like it very much. Kim down to Gwen’s house and the group all got a big sunburn. Carmen called late in PM, her hair looks so good. She is a very pretty person. She went shopping etc. Lo and behold Alan went too. Now she is all mixed up again. Time will tell. Kim out with Robbie Robbins.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 29, 1984 DAYLIGHT TIME, I hate it

 

A very nice clear day and mild. Bill read all day. I got up on the old or the proper time about 7:15. I done up work. Carmen called, she took me down to Fern’s. I was down there for about three hours. She was glad I came down. She is good physically but is worrying about who she is going to get to come and work for her steady. Quite upset. Betty’s folks up to camp. Zak up this a.m., he helped Billie. Kim to Old Orchard Beach with Gwen, Joleen and Debbie. Billie didn’t do much today.

 

 

 

Monday, April 30, 1984 nice, sunny and mild

 

We are having some nice weather now. I washed and ironed. Dawn is very low. Betty was with her last night. Carmen had supper at home tonight alone. Alan down to his mother’s. They sat on the porch all day. Fern all upset and nervous about where she is going. Dorothea came to get Bill’s car tonight for another day.

 

 

 

Most of this month it has been mostly rain and cold. This last week has been mild and mostly sunny. I began my cleaning, so did Betty and Dorothea got her living room all done and rest of the house cleaned. Fern has been in the hospital very sick. She got home and had a lot of help then they said she couldn’t have all that from the state so now she has got to make other plans. Alan and Carmen had a dite of trouble for a couple days. Dawn has been in Bridgton and Lewiston hospitals, but very very sick.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment