The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, November 10, 2022

March 8 - 11, 1984

 

Thursday, March 8, 1984 No school, teacher’s workshop day

 

A beautiful day. On the very cold side. I done up my work, watched my shows than Bill took me to the AG store. I got some things. Then Billie got my things at Warren’s. Betty took Dawn to Lewiston again. They couldn’t do much for her so she came home and entered NCM hospital for x-rays and possibly an operation, her fifth since last spring. She is in bad condition. Betty down shopping for she and Fern. Billie and Zak to Norway in PM. Kim to Portland all day. Dorothea to her stenciling class tonight. Carmen and Alan called tonight down to Betty’s for a steak supper. She was pleased. Carmen has a awful cold.

 


 

 

 

 

Friday, March 9, 1984

 

It was a little cloudy but it cleared away. It was awfully cold, has been all day. I washed clothes and all the windows. Cleaned up the house. Dawn is very bad, they are giving her pain killing medication. Carmen called for a little while.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 10, 1984

 

A very nice day, on the cool side. I got up early, done regular work, washed floors swept, dusted. I made rolls, first time in two weeks. They were pretty good. Zak was here most of the day. He has a cold and tired. He helped to make his bed and the work then watched TV for a little while. I called at Fern’s to see she and Esther. Esther looks very good. Fern is doing very well. Dawn is not at all good. Zak went home. Dorothea is coming to work for Fern free of charge.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 11, 1984

 

A little of all kinds of weather. Joy came for her milk. Walt came and brought some donuts. Kim and Zak up this PM. They had a bite to eat. Kimmy told me all about her meetings she goes to etc. Carmen did quite well at the mountain today. A nice day except it has been very cold. Dawn not too good, she has improved some.

No comments:

Post a Comment