The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, November 3, 2022

February 11 - 13, 1984

Saturday, February 11, 1984 Tara came home from hospital last night wearing a big plastic cone on her head

 

Well it was cloudy when we got up. It cleared and mostly quite a lot of sun. Then late in PM it got cloudy and at dark it rained. I got up at 5:30. I got breakfast, did the regular work, made bread and rolls, swept, dusted, washed the windows, washed the floors. Kim and Zak up. Zak up for breakfast. Betty and Dorothea out looking for antiques. Kim down to the school in PM. She is chairperson for the sculpturing of the Carnival. Betty and family took Carmen and Alan out for Carmen’s birthday supper. Billie hasn’t been anywhere today. Tara and Kim came up and Tara has a big plastic cone shape around her head to keep her so she can’t tear her stitches out. Got to wear it for two weeks. Betty Smith called on the phone today.

 

 

Poor Tara!


 

Sunday, February 12, 1984 Got my glasses

 

The best day we have had this year, temps up to the 60s and in the sun the thermometer was up to 85 and 90. What a day, snow melted, water run. Betty, Zak and I down to get her glasses. Betty didn’t get hers. Carmen up, Alan called. Dorothea came and got some milk. I went out to the barn to see the cattle. They sure are growing.

 

 

 

Monday, February 13, 1984

 

Very nice day. Very sunny all day and mild. I done my wash. I made a jelly roll. I watched soaps and worked on the puzzle. Betty and Tara up, walked up through the field. Billie and Heidi took long walk, they called at Betty’s. Zak stayed after school and made up his math.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment