The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 18, 2022

April 5 - 8, 1984

Thursday, April 5, 1984

 

Rainy, dark and dreary. Expect this until Saturday. I got ready to go to town, but Betty did my shopping. I didn’t have to go. Went down to the hospital in PM to see Fern. She is not feeling very good. A dite better though, then she got worse. Had a bad day and night. She is very weak. I got to watch some of my programs. Kim stayed after school for meeting.

 

 

 

Friday, April 6, 1984

 

A bad old day, rainy, cloudy and all. I did a big wash, did some cooking, three pies. Bill in bed most of the day. Billie second week with his cold but busy. He should have rested. I watched most of the programs today. I have been missing them a lot. Down to see Fern. Betty, Kim and I. Zak to the school dance. Fern not very good tonight. Dawn is pretty good in appearance.

 

 

 

Saturday, April 7, 1984

 

All day rain and cloudy. A miserable day. I done up the Saturday work. Same as usual. Bill in bed most of the day with a cold. He feels quite bad. David called. Billie and Zak to Norway. Walt and Betty out shopping for Kim’s birthday 18th. Dorothea and I down to the hospital tonight. Fern is all okay now. Eating, setting up, doing well. I expect she will be home first of the week. Betty and Walt called also to see her. Dawn acts quite good but far from it. She is quite nervous and upset about herself.

 

 

 

Sunday, April 8, 1984

 

A cloudy day with wind, not any sun, a dite once in a while. It snowed flurries. Betty, Zak and Walt called. Joy came to get milk. Kim came up. She and Walt are moving some of her things.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment