The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, November 12, 2022

March 16 - 18, 1984 Nanny doesn't like Musicals!

Friday, March 16, 1984 Dawn to WMMC in Lewiston

 

A beautiful day. It was cloudy when we got up but it soon cleared. Very mild, the old snow settled a lot. I did a big wash and washed the windows. Bill and Betty took Dawn to the Western Maine Medical. She is in a lot of pain besides she wants to find out what ails her back. I watched TV in PM.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 17, 1984 Town meeting today

 

It was raining when we got up this morning. It rained most of the day, not too heavy. I got my regular work done. I swept, dusted, washed the floors then I made rolls. Kim came up today. She and Billie took a ride up to Week’s and over to Norway. We went to the show tonight at Lake Region High. The Sound of Music. It was very good. I don’t like musicals, that’s all. Kathy Wolff and a lot of Kim’s classmates and friends were in it. Then we came home, as they were getting Fern into the house after attending the show she felt and hurt her awfully. Kim done my vacuuming this morning.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 18, 1984 Fern to NCM hospital

 

A very miserable day. I didn’t do much. We had a lot of company. Her leg was swollen so bad and she was in awful pain. Dorothea, David, Esther, Joy, Laurie, Betty, Zak and Jeff Weeks. Fern was having a lot of pain from her knee tonight when Betty and I went down. I didn’t get much of meals today, so many was here.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment