The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, October 31, 2022

February 1 - 4, 1984

 

Wednesday, February 1, 1984

 

A nice sunny day. I been busy all day. I done up the regular work. Bill down town to get cigarettes, got me a package of brownie mix. Came home said he was going down to the hospital to get some blood. He did. Gone from 8:30 till about seven at night. Zak better. Billie called to see him. Also Dorothea and Betty at night. He can come home tomorrow Dr. said he don’t have spinal meningitis. It was awful and weak. No appetite. Bill looked in on him and said he looked so peeked. Dawn called in PM. Kim came up for supper, but she had to leave as soon as supper at 5:15 to go to babysit for Sharon. We had a good chicken supper. Fern had company, Muriel Sykes, Nancy and her little girl.

 


 

 

 

 

Thursday, February 2, 1984 Zak home

 

A very nice sunny and mild day. I done up the work, went to town with Betty, first time for a long time. Zak came home. He is pretty good. On the sickly looking side. I missed the program and a half today. Billie riding around today.

 

 

 

Friday, February 3, 1984 Me $159 Bill $374

 

Mild. A sunny day, it began to rain towards night. I got the bills ready to go and the money into the bank. Bill and I took Fern down to get a permanent. It was hard for her to get there and back. I watched TV soaps and washed. Zak is getting better slowly. Kim skiing tonight. She got home about 10 or 11. Billie up to David’s and down to Betty’s. Walt sick with his headache. Carmen called.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 4, 1984

 

This is been a very foggy day. Carmen called. We gave her her birthday gifts. I been busy all day. I made a cake, rolls, cleaned up the house, washed floors. Billie been out a few times.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment