The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 15, 2022

December 7 - 10, 1983

 

Wednesday, December 7, 1983

 

A mostly cloudy day. A flurry today. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. Then Betty and I went down to Fern’s in PM. Carmen and Betty up for lunch. I made out some Christmas lists.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 8, 1983

 

A beautiful day. I done up the regular work. Billie came in and wanted to know if I wanted to go to Norway. We did, then I got rest of my shopping done and Billie finished his. I came home, got a few odd jobs done.

 

 

 

Friday, December 9, 1983

 

Today I made out Christmas cards and got them done. I didn’t do much work outside the regular work. I watched TV soaps while I was working on the cards. Carmen called. I did wash the windows. Billie up to David’s. Bill down and he and Carmen worked on the pump water at the barn.

 


 

 

Saturday, December 10, 1983

 

It was kind of cloudy in a.m. then it cleared off and was quite nice and mild. I done up regular work. I washed floors, swept, dusted, made bread, I baked beans. Carmen called on way to town. Dorothea and David came. Susan and Monica called. Zak called. Kim up, Bill helped Walt and Alan to get the water going down to their barn today. Got grapefruit. Billie’s check came $4000 from Social Security. Sent Christmas cards. Cows are all better now. Got water going at Carmen’s.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment