The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, October 12, 2022

November 25 - 28, 1983

 

Friday, November 25, 1983

 

Bill back to the hospital again. He is still bleeding and very run down. Betty took him down. I done a lot of things while he was gone. When Betty came home, he didn’t come because they had admitted him for a checkup etc. It has rained very hard and heavy wind all day.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 26, 1983

 

A very nice sunny day. I done up regular work. Washed the floors, swept, dusted. Washed the windows. Carmen did my shopping. Alan went with her. Bill came back home today. They gave him blood and he looks much better and is more strong. Betty, Walt and Zak worked on the shed and got a lot done. Dorothea don’t feel very good. David home for six weeks because of a hernia operation on the 29th.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 27, 1983

 

A very nice sunny day. I done up the work. Bill is better. David came and called. They had coffee. I had turkey for supper. Billie and Kim took a long walk down in the woods and the dogs. Heidi got exhausted. Walt, Betty and Zak finished the shed. Walt got sick. Carmen and Alan called. I made fudge. Betty took Bill and I up to the camp to see the new fish house. Dorothea still don’t feel very good.

 

 

 

Monday, November 28, 1983

 

Another nice day. It was on the coolish side and in late PM it got cloudy and at a little after dark it snowed and sleet. Traveling not very good. I did a big wash and made two turkey pies. I watched TV soaps. Betty and Carmen went to Lewiston to Christmas shop. They had good luck, did a lot Betty said. Got home before the rain got bad. Bill is much better

No comments:

Post a Comment