The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, October 26, 2022

January 14 - 17, 1984

 

Saturday, January 14, 1984

 

It has been cloudy and light snow showers all day and it was light snow last night too. Well I got up, done up all the work. Washed floors, swept, dusted, made bread and cake which I haven’t had for a long time. Dorothea came about noon. Betty and Zak called on their way to Portland, Windham etc. Got Zak a new jacket (outer) and a new sports jacket. Betty got one for herself. Dorothea and I worked on those records all day. Susan and Monica called. Susan has a new coat and jacket, she was so pleased. She has done very well losing the weight. She is as slender now as can be. Carmen and Kim took Tara to the vets at Norway.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 15, 1984

 

A nice sunny day, on the cold side. Carmen and Alan moved all last night and today. Dorothea, David came down. I called on Ava Grovers, she will call me back tonight and she hasn’t called yet. Joy here. We had sausages and pancakes for supper.

 

 

 

Monday, January 16, 1984

 

I done up my work. I washed, baked a ham butt. Billie in and out doing things, getting grain, groceries etc. Bill down town. Billie called at Fern’s and David’s. I worked on the puzzle and those papers.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 17, 1984 Finished the PUZZLE

 

A nice sunny day. It was on the mild side. I did regular work then I finished the puzzle. Betty took Fern to town to get her hair set. Called in here. In evening Betty and I called at Carmen and Alan’s, it looks very nice and real cozy. It was on the cool side because the fire was pretty well all out when they got home from work. Dorothea came down to Carmen’s too. I made a pie. Mac & cheese. David called. They fixed Billie’s truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment