The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, October 24, 2022

January 7 - 10, 1984

 

Saturday, January 7, 1984

 

Mild. Well, on the cloudy side. I have been busy all day. I done up the work, made bread, rolls, swept and dusted. Made a Indian pudding. I washed floors. Changed beds etc. etc. Billy down to Fern’s, he called to see Zak’s Coleco computer set. Bill down to visit Fern today. Carmen and Alan have been busy today.

 

 

 

Sunday, January 8, 1984 CLEAR, nice day

 

A nice clear sunny day. The first one we have had since over a week. It looked good to see the sun. I got up about seven. Carmen called, she was on her way to work at the Lake Region Hardware (inventory) all day. I got breakfast, did up the work then Bill and I went down to Zak’s to see his new computer Coleco. He is very pleased with it. They are all enjoying it especially Zak and Walt. He worked hard for it last summer and fall. Dorothea and David called. Dorothea and I worked on the papers Don McAllister sent for us to fill out. Set the scanner up today to get the police calls and fire calls etc.

 

 

 

Monday, January 9, 1984 another nice sunny clear day

 

A very nice sunny day, on the mild side. I did a big wash. I got my supper to going so as to be able to watch the soaps in PM. Kim came up after school for a little while. Billie down to the hospital to see Howard Millett and Dawn. Betty called this a.m. David to work tonight. I hope he is okay and no more problems.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 10, 1984 HAIR SET

 

I done up my work and got ready and went to get my hair set. It snowed all day and made a lot. I had to wait for Barbara. It got cold so in PM after I got home I worked on my puzzle and wrapped up with my electric footstool and a blanket. Got warmed up. Betty got stuck up to Dawn’s and Dorothea got stuck, called for milk tonight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment