The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 9, 2022

November 14 - 17, 1983

Monday, November 14, 1983

 

A nice day. I did a wash. Down to Betty’s, up to Allen’s new home. Carmen called. She stayed at home for a phone call but didn’t get one except from her dentist to come in to get her tooth fixed.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 15, 1983 KIM’S RANK VERY GOOD

 

A nice day. I did the ironing and made jelly. Carmen to Portland to get her tooth fixed. Billie down town. Well today Kimmy’s ranks came home.  All A’s and B’s except a 84 which gave her one C+. I’m very pleased about how well she is doing.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 16, 1983 FIRST SNOW

 

It was all white when we got up this morning. I done up the regular work, made a batch of cookies. I worked on the puzzle today. Finished it. Carmen called this PM, it has rained hard at times. Bill is okay now. He was so mean and hateful to Dorothea. I hate him the way he is to some people.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 17, 1983 hair rinse

 

Partly cloudy, on the cool side. I done up the regular work, put a rinse on my hair. Betty and I to town. I did the shopping. Carmen up to Augusta and put an application for a job in. Betty called, took Fern down to get her hair set.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment