The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 22, 2022

January 1 - 3, 1984 Hauling out the ice house

 

Sunday, January 1, 1984

 

A very nice sunny day. On the cool side. Zak and I finished the puzzle. I took my house lights down and Billie took the outside Christmas lights down. Now we’re all cleaned away. Betty’s folks all up to Stearns ice fishing, that is Carmen and Alan did the fishing. They like the new icehouse very much. Kim came up in late PM, we did a puzzle. I made a hamburger delicious for supper. Very good. A new year, hope everyone is well and keeps well. Kim’s mouth is better.

 




 

 

 

 

Monday, January 2, 1984

 

A kind of cloudy day. Light snow, no amount. Kim stayed all night, she and I worked on another puzzle. She got over a third of it done. I made a pudding, fudge and I cooked a piece of boiled meat. It was good with cabbage (scalloped). Betty and Walt had company tonight.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 3, 1984 old amount Bill 363 me 159, new amount Bill 374, mine 163, checks came $537

 

A nice clear day. Not too cold. I wrote to Esther. I did the wash. David called, they had coffee. He visited a long while. I made out bills. Carmen, Kim to Portland about their teeth. Billie to town to Fern’s and at Betty’s. Bill to the Dr. again for iron shot.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment