The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 16, 2022

December 11- 14, 1983

Sunday, December 11, 1983 Betty to Hospital

 

This has been a beautiful day. Sunny and mild. I didn’t get up till about 7:30. Got the breakfast, done up the work. Then Billie went and got Fern. She had a very enjoyable day. About 7:30 the kids all came and Alan. They had been down to the hospital to see Betty. They took or Walt did about 430. She was in a lot of chest pain etc. It was about the biggest surprise I have had for a long time.

 

 

 

Monday, December 12, 1983 Betty home, cloudy stormy day

 

This is a cloudy stormy day, snow and rain. I done up my work early, got two letters written and off. Walt got Betty home today, she is okay. She has gone to the dentist. Walt took her. Carmen to Portland to inquire about a job. Billie down and took care of his check. I made a pie (blueberry) and tarts. I did the washing etc. Carmen and Alan called in evening.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 13, 1983 very heavy rain all day, no school

 

A very heavy rainy day. It was very bad traveling all forenoon. They called off school in many places. I done up my work. Made cookies, looked up some dates in the diaries for Betty. I was going to wrapped gifts but I didn’t get to it. Billie backed his cards. Bill fix the kitchen light. Carmen down to South Windham about a job. A possibility for her.

 

 


Note the two moons

 

Wednesday, December 14, 1983

 

I went down to Betty’s to see Kim’s gingerbread house etc. She did so very well making it. Carmen and I went down to Bradlee’s in North Windham. I did all rest of shopping. Except Fern and Bettys. Couldn’t get what I wanted there so Carmen will get it tomorrow when she goes to take Kim shopping. I came home and did some wrapping. Betty’s folks got their Christmas tree in tonight.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment