The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, October 20, 2022

December 26 - 29, 1983

 

Monday, December 26, 1983 very cold this morning

 

12 below, but as the day wore on it got a dite warmer. Well, Christmas is over and things are getting back to normal and now settling down for winter. I did a big wash this morning. Charlene and Tom called. I showed them some of our things. Billie took Christmas boxes and decorations down to Betty’s.

 

 

 

Tuesday, December 27, 1983 Kim

 

A cold day but sunny. I washed kitchen floor. I picked over my desk draws etc. Bill down town. David called this forenoon. He gets quite bored all day long. Bill got ready to go to Rhode Island with Walt tomorrow. They will be leaving at about four tomorrow morning. Today Kim had four wisdom teeth pulled. They did regular surgery on them. She is swollen and sore tonight. I feel so sorry for her.

 

 

 

Wednesday, December 28, 1983

 

Cloudy. It was pretty good most of the forenoon then it clouded up and began to snow. I defrosted the refrigerator and I cooked a chicken. I made filling for turkey pie. Billie took me to town. I deposited my money in the savings account. I couldn’t exchange the stand. Bill, Walt and Zak to Rhode Island today. Kim is better today. We called to see her. I went down to see the cows. Don’t get out there much in the winter. That calf has grown so big.

 

 

 

Thursday, December 29, 1983

 

I done up the work, cleaned up the house. Betty to town and did my shopping. I watched TV soaps. Kim is better from her teeth operation. Carmen working. Walt sick all day. Billie down town, up to David’s and called at Fern’s. I made Betty’s meat pie or turkey.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment