The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

November 22 - 24, 1983 Thanksgiving!

 

Tuesday, November 22, 1983 ZAK

 

Carmen up early 5:30 to take Zak to the Central Maine Medical Center in Lewiston for operation. He was able to come home late in the PM. He is and will be sore for a few days. I cooked a Thanksgiving dinner today for supper tonight. Bill didn’t feel very good today. I did a big wash.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 23, 1983 KIM HAIRCUT AND NEW HAIRDO

 

Beautiful day. I been busy today. I made two pies, lemon sponge and apple. I watched soaps. I did some washing. Billie busy all day, down to help Carmen in PM. Betty to Norway. Carmen and Alan called. Kim up in late PM. She has a new hairdo. It looks nice, sort of a freestyle. Dorothea didn’t work today but done a lot at home getting ready for the day tomorrow. Zak is getting better.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 24, 1983 Thanksgiving day

 

Cloudy and rain. Done up the work, took a bath. We went up to Dorothea’s for dinner. We had a very good dinner. Walt, Betty, Carmen, Kim, Zak and Alan, Jeff, David Neister (sp?), Fern, Billie and me. Bill unable to go. He isn’t at all good.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment