The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

May 1 - 4, 1966



Sunday, May 1, 1966

A nice day. On the cool side. Billie worked for Lawrence. Bill worked for Gordon. Betty, children and I here alone. We visited at the trailer. Aunt Ava called, she and I up to see Evelyn Ridlon. Kennie, Dot called, also Fern and Lloyd. Es called. She had just returned from DOROTHEA and JEFF’S. All are doing well, about eight weeks time, Dorothea should be back home all free and clear.



Monday, May 2, 1966

A beautiful day except awful windy. Betty up, she and I did an awful big wash. Also Betty did the ironing. Billie and I took them home after supper. Bill up to Boston today to the clinic. Billie and I called at Ferns in evening. They have been doing a lot of business today.



Tuesday, May 3, 1966

A sunny day but very cold and windy. I done up my work. Over to Joys. We went down and got Betty. We cleaned some of Joys house. Came home, made pie, got supper. Then we took Betty home. We called at Jeans and at the tenting acres. It began to rain late tonight. Betty sent Mike a downfall letter today. It is all over.



Wednesday, May 4, 1966 TOOTH PULLED

A cold windy day. Joy came after me about 9 AM. I went down to Betty’s. She took me up to the dentist. I had a tooth pulled. Betty and Carmen up here. Mrs. Carter came to see Betty today. Mike got his letter today.

No comments:

Post a Comment