The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, January 19, 2018

March 14 - 17, 1966



Monday, March 14, 1966

A nice day. I did my wash. Betty and Carmen up, we went to town. Holly Lyons had a 7 pound, 4 ounce boy today. Betty and Carmen here for supper. This morning Bill Kimball brought two steers, one is Billie’s, one is Lawrence Boynton’s.



Tuesday, March 15, 1966

Cold and early morning. Another beautiful day. I done my ironing. Went to work upstairs to begin my cleaning. I got a lot done, would have it all done, but had company. Fern, Lloyd, Kennard, Will and Aunt Ava. Letter from DOROTHEA.



Wednesday, March 16, 1966

A beautiful day. I finished two-bedrooms today upstairs. Betty and Carmen here. We got a lot done. Betty got a call from Mike. He is coming to see her tonight. She made some cookies up here today. Two astronauts went up today but was called back because of trouble with one of the capsules. Very cold last night. Billie, Fern and I called at Aunt Ava’s tonight. Betty and I called on Holly and new boy at NCMH.



Thursday, March 17, 1966

A very nice sunny day. 45° temps in p.m. Nice and mild. I finished cleaning my upstairs. Did Betty’s room, bathroom and hall. Betty and Carmen here. Mike over last night. He gave Betty some hopes of a possible new life. She felt better about things. A lot to show up though. Mike stayed until 2 AM she said. Aunt Ava to the hospital today.


No comments:

Post a Comment