The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, January 12, 2018

February 14 - 17, 1966 A PRIVATE TELEPHONE



Monday, February 14, 1966 PRIVATE TELEPHONE

A beautiful day. Very mild and sunny. I washed, made pudding. Clothes dried very good. Got them in before supper. I made Swiss steaks for supper. Today I got my PRIVATE PHONE. I wrote to Esther. In evening down to Betty’s and over to Aunt Ava’s. She isn’t very good in health.



Tuesday, February 15, 1966

I got my work done. Wrote to Dorothea. Went down town with Fern and Lloyd. Cashed Billie’s income check for him, he had me send Dorothea $25. We called at Betty’s a minute. I came home, done my ironing, made an apple pie. Hunted for Betty’s marriage certificate. Kennard called. Had home cured bacon for supper that came from Lloyd, Truthworthies (?) down to Porter and pancakes. Bill late tonight. Been to Portland with town truck. Mike over, only paid Betty $20. He was drunk, all mixed up. He is THROUGH, no more MIKE.



Wednesday, February 16, 1966

Cloudy day. Betty and Carmen up. We went to town. Betty had a lot of business to do. Paid for her rent to Mrs. Douglas. Sent for her license. Saw Mrs. Carter. She is quite upset about last night. For the last time he has let her down. She and I down to her house in late p.m. Snow began about 2:30 PM.



Thursday, February 17, 1966

Cold and windy. I done up my work, made birthday cake. Betty and Carmen came up with Fern and Lloyd for the day. Fern here for supper. Had baked ham, string beans, mashed potatoes, rolls, birthday cake and ice cream. In evening Mike called Betty. He isn’t going in the service. I’m glad he isn’t. He is sick in his mind. I wish he could get help. Too many to lose out.

No comments:

Post a Comment