The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 6, 2018

January 21 - 24, 1966 Dorathea and Dennis Seperate



Friday, January 21, 1966 Billie called to WORK

Warm again, but cloudy and misty snow. I done up my work. Billie got a call to work days for a few weeks and possibly nights. He goes to work tomorrow. I went down to Betty’s with Fern and Lloyd. Billie came and got me. Came home. Kennard called. Billie over and got haircut. I got supper. Billie took me to town grocery shopping. Called on Betty and Carmen. Snowy tonight. Bill feels punk tonight. $67.61 Bills



Saturday, January 22, 1966 DOROTHEA

I got my work done up early, took a bath. Betty and Carmen came with Bill for rest of the day and baked beans supper. Bill and I out looking at new homes. We called at Lanes on Route 302. A beautiful home. When we got home Betty had talked with Dorothea. The awful and unbelievable news. Dorothea and Denny have separated. Poor Jeff. She is all mixed up and we are again heartbroken. Betty, now Dorothea, I hope everything will be for the best. We called for her to come home, but her lawyer didn’t want her to now.



Sunday, January 23, 1966 Bad Storm

Bill called to work about 3 PM. He felt quite good today. Carmen and Betty here all day. Kennie and Dot called. We talked and talked and discussed Dorothea’s problems. I do hope something will come out that they would get together again. The snowstorm got very bad in late p.m. Billie took Betty and Carmen home then he and I called the Ferns.


Monday, January 24, 1966 20 inches of snow came, Bill worked all night

It snowed most all day. Bill came home for breakfast and got his lunch. Very tired and lame. I did my wash, cleaned the porch off. Sent a big letter to Dorothea, also to Es. I was alone all day. Been thinking of Dorothea and her family all day. I wish I could help her. Bill came home very lame and tired. Billie and I had to go to town to get pills for Bill. Called at Betty and Carmen’s. 20 inches of snow



No comments:

Post a Comment