The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, January 21, 2018

March 22 - 25, 1966 Billie's 35th Birthday




Tuesday, March 22, 1966 Billie 35

A nice warm day. I done up my work. Betty, Carmen came, we did a wash for Betty. We went to town, got home, prepared turkey supper. Made a birthday cake. Betty also made cookies. Fern, Betty and Carmen here for supper. Billie got a batch of his favorite donuts from Fern and Lloyd. Betty made him a batch of his cookies. Bill and I gave him two dollars. Chet Lil two dollars. He got cards. Mike called Betty tonight, he may come over tomorrow. She got a nice letter from him today.





Wednesday, March 23, 1966

Cloudy. Aunt Ava operated on today. Carmen and Betty up again today. Letter from Dorothea, also Jeff’s school picture. Billie all nervous and shook up tonight. He was awful. Water thawed out at the barn.



Thursday, March 24, 1966

A miserable day, cloudy, rainy and dreary. I went down town with Lloyd. Called at Betty and Carmen’s a little while. Betty up to take a bath. It began raining hard in early evening.



Friday, March 25, 1966

Rained hard all forenoon. I went down with Fern and Lloyd to take some donuts down to Carmen. I done up my work, got bills figured out etc. Mike came to Betty’s about 3 PM. They were so pleased to see each other. I went to town before supper to pay a bill. Then after supper to shop. Aunt Ava operated on today. She expected to be last Tuesday or Wednesday. Bill Larrabee died today at this evening 8 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment