The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, January 26, 2018

April 11 - 14, 1966 Kimberly Born



Monday, April 11, 1966

A sunny day. Some clouds, on the cool and windy side. I washed, clothes line broke. I fell while Betty and I tried to fix it. Carmen and Betty up today. We went to town. Clothes dried good. Betty on the very uncomfortable feeling today. About quarter of 11 PM Betty had some sharp pains. About 11:15 she called me, her water broke. She called Mrs. Hansen, Mike and Fern. Bill took Fern and I down. Mrs. Hansen took Betty and I to the hospital.



Tuesday, April 12, 1966 Kimberly Allie Boutilier

Very nice day. At 10:52 AM at the northern Cumberland Memorial Hospital Kimberly Allie Boutilier was born to Mike and Betty Boutilier. Mike and I stay with Betty all night. She was very sick with hard labor pains. Finally Dr. Richards gave her something which helps the pain and the baby started coming. Betty was so pleased and Mike beamed all over. The little might is around our hearts so tight now the boy don’t matter. Mike stayed over here tonight at Betty’s apartment and had Carmen.



Wednesday, April 13, 1966

Cloudy. Betty and Carmen, Mike and Kimberly of today a new family. Mike and Carmen came up this morning. We had breakfast, done up the work. Mike, Carmen and I went to Norway. We got some things for Betty and Kimberly. Came home, got ready, went down to the hospital to see Kimberly and Betty. Thelma went with us. I am at Betty’s tonight with Carmen.



Thursday, April 14, 1966

I got up early at Betty’s, got the windows washed before the streets and stores got filled up. Made beds etc. Came up here with Fern and Lloyd. Done my work here. Made pie. Got supper. I called in to the hospital for a short visit. Betty got a lot of cards and had some visitors. Delores, Aunt Ava, Mrs. Parker and me. Baby is so cunning. Lloyd tried out a 1961 Chevy today.



No comments:

Post a Comment