The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 1, 2018

January 1 - 4, 1966 A New Year





Saturday, January 1, 1966 Cows Went

Partly cloudy. Jackie Boutilier had twins today at the new Northern Cumberland Hospital, first one’s born there. Louise Valley had a new years baby, a boy. Carmen up here today while Betty and Mike done some errands. Mike over to spend the weekend with them. I babysit tonight for them. Cows went. Kristie is the only animal we have left. Well, that is the way of life I guess.



Sunday, January 2, 1966

Partly cloudy. I done up my regular work. Fern and Lloyd called. Kennie and Dot called. Bill a lot better. Billie had Keith Bryant come, they hauled wood from Lloyd’s. Billie didn’t have any chores to do tonight before he goes to work. Back to work and no more time off until May 31. Betty and Carmen called for a little while.



Monday, January 3, 1966

Stormy, snowy and sleet. I did my wash. Billie and I to town. We paid bills left and right. It would be hard if a want for what Billie does. We called at Betty and Carmen’s. Betty and I went shopping. Billie gave her some money and she bought some groceries. Bill and I took a chair down to Betty’s in the evening.



Tuesday, January 4, 1966

The sun came up this morning for the first time in weeks. It sure looked nice. Billie took Fern down to get a permanent. I went down to help Betty get ready for a big event. Mike’s coming tonight. She fixed a pot roast and made a layer cake and cleaned up the apartment. She and Carmen had baths and shampoos. Mike paid her $25.

No comments:

Post a Comment