The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

December 29 - 31, 1965 Good Bye To Another Year!



Wednesday, December 29, 1965

Not so cold. I done up my work, got my supper to going. Called at Carmen and Betty’s with Billie. She is better. I stay down there last night, she was very sick. Asthma. Watched TV in evening. We like and enjoy the TV. Mike came over to Betty’s tonight, brought some things for Carmen and money for Betty. $12 for Betty.



Thursday, December 30, 1965

Betty called this morning. Carmen sick and throwing up. I went down for a few hours. She felt better when I came home. I made two turkey pies, a pudding. To town with Billie, done my grocery shopping. Dave Newhall with Beverly and Lloyd called after supper. Bill and I down to see Carmen. She is better. Randy is there.



Friday, December 31, 1965 Very Mild Today

Well this is another eventful year has passed. We had a mild winter, nice old-time spring, a very pleasant summer, as autumn came along not so happy events. Betty and Mike’s troubles began, Carmen sickness got worse. As the New Year comes I sure hope Betty has a most happy life with her new baby and good hopes for a changed husband. We enjoyed DOROTHEA and JEFF to the fullest this past summer. Betty and Mike bought a trailer. Then Bill and I became owners. Bill had a lot of gout trouble, had to go to Lahey Clinic. Carmen to Dr. Brown in Boston, in the NCM hospital several times. Billie sold the cows. Hope for a very happy year next year. Mike with his family tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment