The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

December 14 - 17, 1965



Tuesday, December 14, 1965

Cloudy all day. I done regular work. Downtown in p.m. Fern and Lloyd called. Bad traveling. I got my ironing done. Got my package back from Sears. I sent the order last Friday.



Wednesday, December 15, 1965 Bill Walsh died

Another cloudy, dreary day. Betty cleaned her apartment and done some moving. Bill Walsh died today also Jim Chadbourne. Bill still home and more lame today. I went down with Betty and helped her. Louise helped too.



Thursday, December 16, 1965

A dreary, dreary day. Gray and hectic. Betty on the very gray side. She is worried and upset about her future. Carmen and Christmas and no money, no security feeling. She and I to town. Bill still home. Carmen got a Christmas gift from Thelma, two dollars. Gemini 6 came back at a good landing today.



Friday, December 17, 1965 Betty got $20

Another cloudy day. It has been cloudy all week long. I made two pies, helped Betty do a bit of moving. Down to see Bill Walsh tonight. Betty back downtown tonight. Aunt Ava called. Betty got $20 from Mike.


No comments:

Post a Comment