The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, December 10, 2017

October 7 - 10, 1965



Thursday, October 7, 1965

A fair, some cloudy, day. Not too cold. Betty, Carmen and I went to the fair at Fryeburg. Holly and her two boys went with us. A nice time. A very nice fair, a lot of cattle and horses. Fern cooked our supper, pot roast. Got the deed back from Mike all signed.



Friday, October 8, 1965 PULLETS

A good rain, it began raining in the night very heavy. Rained hard all day long. We need it so bad. I got my work done. Betty done most of it. We got ready and went to East Stoneham and got the pullets. Betty, Billie, Carmen and I all went. Very nice looking pullets. I’m so glad to get them. Had a nice ride.



Saturday, October 9, 1965 Mike came, five eggs

A nice day. I done up my regular work. Made rolls, butter, baked beans. Over to Norway to take the deed over to the trailer Schiavi’s. Betty, Carmen and I came home. Fern here for supper. In evening Fern and Betty played Monopoly. Don Roak’s called and another guy to see the trailer and car. Dave Newhall down to play games. About 10 or 1030 Mike came. He wants to come back. I hope things work out for the best. They need to be together. That will be their decision.



Sunday, October 10, 1965 six eggs

Sunny in early a.m. Didn’t get up too early. It clouded up. I fixed Bill’s pants. Bill and Billie put porch windows on. Billie hauled water for cows. I washed porch windows, rest of trailer windows. Kennie and Dot called. Carmen got a cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment