The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 25, 2018

April 7 - 10, 1966 Easter Sunday




Thursday, April 7, 1966

A very nice day, mild in a.m., got colder in p.m. I washed all the windows downstairs inside and out. Betty and Carmen came up. I also did a big ironing. Betty didn’t feel too good. She went home early. Carmen stayed up for supper. Billie and I took her home. We called at Aunt Ava’s and Uncle Lewis’s in evening. Mike called her tonight.



Friday, April 8, 1966 Good Friday

I got my work done up, went down to Betty’s. We cleaned her apartment all up good. Then she got Bill’s car and we done my shopping. Came home. Betty and Carmen had lunch. Betty called at Aunt Ava’s to see her cards she got while in the hospital. Rained hard all day, snow also.



Saturday, April 9, 1966

A miserable day. Betty and Carmen up. I done up my work, down to Ken Proctor’s and into the stores. Got a few things for Aunt Ava. Billie didn’t work, he went down state with Lawrence. Fern here for supper.



Sunday, April 10, 1966 Easter Sunday

A dreary day. Done up our work. Carmen and Betty up. We had a nice ham dinner. Betty and I to town and up by the Abner Stiles place. Kennie, Dot, Bob, Fern and Lloyd here in p.m. Betty and Carmen up til into the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment