The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 13, 2018

February 18 - 21, 1966



Friday, February 18, 1966

A cold clear day. I got up and went down town to Betty’s early.



Saturday, February 19, 1966

A beautiful day. I got my work done. Betty and Carmen up with Bill. Betty and I down town. Fern up for supper, had good beans, brown bread etc. Got a long letter from Dorothea. I worry so about her.



Sunday, February 20, 1966 24 below

Got up at 10 AM. Got breakfast. Betty and Carmen up, had breakfast. Didn’t do much. Got supper. Billie got sick, by nervousness. Bill took Betty home. When she got home, she found her shelf full of HORSE statues all on the floor and broken in many pieces. It about sickened her. Also two draws disturbed. Her desk draws messed up, chair twisted around etc.



Monday, February 21, 1966

22 below this morning. A very cold day. Billie sick, didn’t work. He went to the doctors. He gave him some pills and sprayed his throat. Carmen and Betty up here all day. In PM I went to town with Betty. I mailed letters, voted. Got Billie’s license off. We called at Barbara’s and talked about Dorothea. They did not pass or get the sale of liquor bill in Maine today.


No comments:

Post a Comment