The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 29, 2018

April 23 - 26, 1966



Saturday, April 23, 1966

A very nice day. Betty and Carmen came up with Billie. Had dinner. (?) Dorothea and I to town. Billie worked for dielectric in a.m. Betty, children down town. Got Fern, she came up for supper.




Sunday, April 24, 1966 DOROTHEA CALLED

A cloudy dreary. I went over and cleaned up Bob’s house, came home. Carmen and Betty here. I cooked french fries and scallops for dinner. We got a very unhappy and mixed up call from Dorothea and Dennis. I am worried about her. She wants to come home right now. I’ll be so glad when she is all settled up. Kennie and Dot called.



Monday, April 25, 1966 DOROTHEA

Cloudy most all forenoon. I didn’t wash. I went down to Betty’s, we called Es. She will go and bring Dorothea home if necessary. I came home, cleaned the dining room and kitchen radiator. Also washed the kitchen ceiling. Lawrence came and got his steer and brought a Durham heifer. Dorothea called. She is not coming home now. She wasn’t quite so upset tonight. She is sick over the whole mess. Also I talked with Es. She is going up to Dorothea’s for a few days. Cleared in PM.



Tuesday, April 26, 1966

Windy. A clear day but very cold and windy. I washed. Then I went down to Betty’s and helped her. She is sick. Carmen seems so awfully bored. I came home, got supper, washed dishes, got my clothes in and ironed. Mended. Billie down to help Lawrence Boynton and Butch unload some wild cattle.


No comments:

Post a Comment