The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 1, 2018

May 5 - 8, 1966



Thursday, May 5, 1966 Dishes

A nice day, a little warmer. I went down to work for Lila. She and Frances came after me. Came home, got supper. Started a letter to Dorothea. Betty and Carmen didn’t come up today. Betty called Mike tonight. They had quite a talk. He wants to come over to see her and discuss things. All I can do is hope. Billie and I went down and got my dishes at Ferns tonight.



Friday, May 6, 1966

I done up my work, down to Lila’s. We finished up down there. Came home, Betty and girls were here. We got ready and went to town, did my shopping. Came home. Aunt Ava was here. We talked, got supper. Betty home early expecting Mike. She is planning a trick on him. He came way late tonight. He called her early in evening. He was in bad shape when he arrived. She told him to get out. Holly had her husband to.



Saturday, May 7, 1966

Cold all day. I done up my regular work. Did a little cooking, pie, donuts and cake. Baked beans, made rolls. Betty brought the children up here and went back home. She and Mike had a long talk. Trying to get things straightened out. She came up here for supper, then went back to the apartment. Mike had been there asleep all day. Billie worked at Dialectic in a.m., for Lawrence in p.m. Fern and Lloyd over to Norway and picked out their furnishings for their new home.



Sunday, May 8, 1966

Snow. When we got up this morning, we had a couple of inches of snow on the ground and still snowing. Got up, got breakfast, done up my regular work. Billie helped Lawrence again today. Very quiet here all day. Bill and I here alone. We read papers, watched TV. Dot, Kennie and Karen called. Betty and girls came up after supper. Mike went home with his father and Lou. Betty is very pleased at the result of Mike’s visit this week end. Fern and Lloyd called. Mike and Betty talked till very late.


No comments:

Post a Comment