The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 22, 2018

July 28 - 31, 1966



Thursday, July 28, 1966

Cloudy and dreary today. Betty and children didn’t get up very early. I done a lot of odd and end jobs today. Dorothea, Betty, Jeff and Carmen to Portland to see about Dorothea getting her license. Kennard and Aunt Ava called.



Friday, July 29, 1966 Dorothea 29

Cloudy in early a.m., cleared about 10:30. I done up my regular work. Betty up, we went to town. Came home, I washed. Betty took some pictures down to Ferns. We got supper. Took Betty and children home after supper. Dorothea to Portland today, got her temporary license. Also got a letter about a job with the St. Johnsbury Trucking Company. Dorothea, Billie and I down to Ferns.



Saturday, July 30, 1966

Had a good baked beans supper, Fern up. I done up my regular work. Betty and I to town in p.m. to get the necessary things for Dorothea’s birthday. Betty and the girls home early. Mike with them for the evening.



Sunday, July 31, 1966

A nice day. We got up late. Done up the work, picked some string beans. Billie up to Chet’s. In p.m. we had a T-bone steak cookout for Dorothea’s birthday. Had Kennie and Dot, Fern and Lloyd. She got a lot of nice things, cards and money.
Fern and Dot back to, Bill (hidden by Fern) Dorothea, Billie, Kennie, Lloyd and Nanny. Carmen in front



Everyone at the party


No comments:

Post a Comment