The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 5, 2018

May 21 - 24, 1966



Saturday, May 21, 1966 Mowed lawns first time, Got a new shoes

Foggy in early morning but it cleared off nice and warm. Billie and I over to Norway. Got the garden seeds. I bought a new clothes line rope. Came home, Betty and children were here, also Bob and his grandchildren. Bill harrowed and planted the garden. Billie mowed lawns, put up my clothes line. Lloyd called. Mike did come last night. He didn’t stay but he did come back tonight. I got a new pair of white shoes.



Sunday, May 22, 1966

Cloudy in a.m. Then cleared off and was HOT. I done up regular work, cleaned my greens, froze a box. Fern, Lloyd called. I cleaned the cellar way and shower. Betty and children came up. Kennie and Dot called. We took Betty and children home. Kimberly kind of sick. Called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Aunt Ava called. Billie worked at Chet’s today.



Monday, May 23, 1966 A Beautiful day

It was a wonderful day. I washed nearly all day. Did regular wash then got the blankets all washed up and put away. Carmen here for supper tonight. She stayed all night. She was so pleased she could stay here all alone.



Tuesday, May 24, 1966

A beautiful day. I cleaned my bedroom. Betty helped, also we did the shed chamber. Got a lot of things to pick over up there. Joy and Laurie called. I had dandelions for supper.


No comments:

Post a Comment