The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 7, 2018

May 29 - June 1, 966



Sunday, May 29, 1966

A very nice day. I done up regular work. I picked up the back porch, got it ready to cleaned. I ironed. Carmen here all day. Betty and Kimberly here late in p.m. Aunt Ava, Fern, Lloyd, Bob, Joy, Kennie and Dot. Debbie and Laurie called. Billie worked at Chet’s most all day. Bill planted corn.

Debbie Wolff  - Age 7

Lorrie Wolff - Age 5



Monday, May 30, 1966

A beautiful day, on the cool side. A good drying day. The big wash dried very good. Betty, Carmen and Kimberly up here. Bill fixed refrigerator. Billie worked at Chet’s most all day. We washed all day. Billie got manure on the flower beds. Craig Fleck put his steer in the pasture.



Tuesday, May 31, 1966 LETTER FROM DOROTHEA

A beautiful sunny day. I cleaned up the back porch and the kitchen cookstove. Joy and girls called. Today got a letter from Dorothea. She wanted Betty to come out then tonight Dorothea called. She don’t know when she will get her divorce. She wants me to come out and stay and help her get ready to come home. I feel sorry for Betty.



Wednesday, June 1, 1966

Partly cloudy. I cleaned the kitchen. Betty and children came up. Joy and Laurie called. I been thinking about what to do about going out to Dorothea’s. Will called Billie. Mowed grass tonight. Cold today. Began working at the new Yates home today after waiting four weeks. Phonie begun at Lloyd’s.


No comments:

Post a Comment