The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 5, 2023

September 24 - 26, 1984 Poppa Back in Hospital

Monday, September 24, 1984 got the beef home

 

A very nice sunny hot day, on the muggy side for September. I did my washing and ironing. Watched soaps in a.m. Bill took a shower and to the doctors. He has sugar diabetes. Billie to the doctor at Fryeburg and has his corn shaved or calluses on the bottom of his foot. Bill is on a diet and insulin. I went down to Fern’s to stay with her while Carmen went places. She don’t look very good. Bobby and Marcia brought the meat today.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 25, 1984

 

A very nice mild day after early morning fog. I did up the work, made a apple pie. Cooked a chicken for supper. We had Kim up for supper. She enjoyed that. She was out looking for work today. No luck. Carmen still sick with asthma. Betty’s folks got their meat back. Fern not very well, seems to be failing each day. Bill got a call from the Dr., he has very high sugar, 600. He has got to go into the hospital for a couple days to get regulated on insulin.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 26, 1984  Bill to NCM

 

Bill in to NCM hospital for a couple days for sugar test. I watched TV soaps the morning. Betty came and took Bill to hospital. I was down to Fern’s in PM while Carmen was away. She gets so bogged down there all the time. Fern was asleep so I watched all of my PM soaps. Fern isn’t very good, looks bad too. Dorothea didn’t have to go to Portland today. Billie worked on the raspberry bed.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment