The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, January 22, 2023

November 22 - 24, 1984 Thanksgiving At Auntie's

 

Thursday, November 22, 1984 Thanksgiving day

 

A very nice sunny day, on the cool side. I done my ironing, did my hair, took a bath and we got ready. Went up to David and Dorothea’s. It was a very good dinner. Cooked to a perfection. Dorothea is such a good cook. Guests Walt, Betty, Carmen, Kim, Zak, Jeff, Bill, Billie, Fern, Mary and I. It was such a very nice day, but cold. Dorothea and Betty down to Carmen and Kim’s for the evening.

 


 

 

Friday, November 23, 1984

 

A partly cloudy day. I done up my work. Watched morning soaps. In PM Betty and I to N. Windham Shopping Ctr. I finished my shopping. Zak had company tonight all night. I did a wash this forenoon. Washed windows. Carmen works tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 24, 1984

 

A very cloudy day all day. There was some snow flurries in forenoon. David came down. Later he and Dorothea came with the table and chairs. Dorothea and Betty down to Fern’s a little while. Zak too. Carmen called today. Kim and Walt to the ballet dancing in Portland. Billie done chores and other odd jobs. Bill to town and run out of gas. I did my work and washed floors and made rolls. Zak’s company went home early this morning.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment