The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, January 8, 2023

October 3 - 6, 1984

 

Wednesday, October 3, 1984

 

A mostly good day yet it did cloud up and rained, showers late PM. I cleaned the living room, a long days job. Betty finished her upstairs in the barn. Dorothea and Joy up in the mountains. Fern had a very upsetting day, quite depressed. Her bowels and kidneys give way on her more or less today.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 4, 1984

 

A very nice day, on the cool and windy side. I did the kitchen today, curtains. I washed and ironed. Carmen and Betty went to New Hampshire, they did a lot of shopping. Got a box spring and mattress for the apartment. Kim Horton stayed with Fern today. Bill and Billie out some today while I was cleaning, it drives them up the wall when I’m all torn up at housecleaning. Bill is much better.

 

 

 

Friday, October 5, 1984

 

I finished up my cleaning, did the breezeway. I did a big ironing, did some washing down to Betty’s. We went down to the apartment, it looks very nice. I hope they can keep it.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 6, 1984 KIM’S FIRST AT WORK, 28 above when we got up. A nice day, on the cold windy side

 

A very nice sunny, clear and pretty (day), wind blowed, which made it on the cold side. David called this morning. They had coffee. I got my floor washed early. Then Carmen came. She visited a little while. We went down to Betty’s then she, Betty and Dorothea over to the Fryeburg Fair. This morning Kim went to work at Laverdiere’s drugstore part-time. Zak and Walt been doing odd jobs. Billie put the boards on the back porch (underneath). Did some other fall jobs. Zak up a little while.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment