The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, January 19, 2023

November 11 - 14, 1984

Sunday, November 11, 1984

 

Cloudy and rainy in PM and early evening it was a good heavy rain. I hope it helps the wells. I did up the regular work after we got up about 7:30. In PM Dorothea and I down to Fern’s. She is the same. David and Dorothea here for a visit. Also Woodrow Dobbins. Zak down to Carmen and Kim’s for supper.

 

 

 

Monday, November 12, 1984 No School or work in observance of Veterans Day, Carmen got a job at NCM Hospital

 

I did a washing. I done my ironing. Watched soaps, some in PM. I done a lot of odd jobs. Checked out Christmas gifts etc. In evening Betty, her three kids and I was invited. Went to Goodwin’s in Norway for supper to celebrate Carmen’s new job. We are so pleased about that. Billie doing a lot of odd jobs, getting finished up for fall.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 13, 1984 Kimberley got her drivers license. She is very proud and pleased

 

Another rainy day and cloudy. I worked at my desk after getting the work done. Today Kimberly got her license to drive, took her test early this morning. We are so glad. Also Carmen got in touch with the hospital, she goes tomorrow for her first day from 3 PM to 11 PM. I hope she will like it and do well. Good pay and benefits. Kim is still trying for a job. Snow flurries tonight. It has been 55 to 60 and 70° temps all lately.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 14, 1984 Carmen begins work at NCM Hospital

 

Carmen seeing about a job at hospital. She is going to work part-time. Kimmy checked out a job, no go. Poor kid, I feel so sorry for her. She is trying. Billie busy all day as usual. Bill worked on my switch for cellar light.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment