The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

October 14 - 16, 1984 Dinner at the new apartment!

Sunday, October 14, 1984 to Carmen and Kim’s for dinner

 

A nice mild day, I got the work done up. Didn’t get up till about seven. Today we had our first dinner at Carmen and Kim’s home. They had such a very good dinner. Roast pork, squash, a nice salad, home made bread, the best apple pie (Kim made) and brownies. Coffee and wine. It was very nice. Betty, Walt, Zak, Dorothea, David, Bill, Billie and me. We had a very nice time. Came home, called at Fern’s. She isn’t good at all.

 


 


 

Monday, October 15, 1984

 

Very nice day. I done up the washing, didn’t have much. I got the dinner for them. Done up the work from dinner than got ready and went down to Fern’s to stay well Carmen went to check on a job. I went back with Betty at about 1:30 because a lady was coming to see Fern about working for her. Milan and Betty to Portland with Dorothea.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 16, 1984

 

Another nice sunny mild day. I got my work done up, done a washing. Bill to the doctor for sugar checkup. Sugar is still very high. I watched my Days of Our Lives program then down to Fern’s. She had a interview with another lady from Portland. We like her very much. Fern decided on the First Lady that came. She was quiet and don’t smoke or watch shows. Fern still getting weaker. She don’t feel well at all. Carmen out looking for work. No luck at all.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment