The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, January 17, 2023

November 3 - 6, 1984

 

Saturday, November 3, 1984

 

On the cool side this morning but clear. It has been a very nice clear day and sunny. I done up my Saturday work. David, Dorothea, Betty and Carmen called. Dorothea check Billie’s bills all over. Kim gone away for the weekend. I’ll be so glad when they or Carmen and Kim get good jobs.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 4, 1984

 

A nice day. I didn’t get up till late. I got the breakfast, done up the work. Carmen came, she had breakfast. Billie up to David’s. Doing home odd jobs. Barry Richardson called to see Billie about the barn windows. They got rest of the lawns raked at Betty’s. Wood hauled, ready for storm windows and on.

 

 

 

Monday, November 5, 1984 HAIR SET

 

I got my hair set. Betty took me down and came after me. I done my washing. I went down to Betty’s before I came home to see the Days of Our Lives she had taped. I came home and cooked a roast beef supper. Made a pudding. Had supper early. Billie down to Fern’s. Carmen got a call from NCM hospital.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 6, 1984 ELECTION DAY, President

 

I did a small wash. Bill to the doctor. Carmen and Kim came, we went down to vote. Carmen took us. Present was reelected for second term of four years. Then when the kids came back we went down and up to the Heritage Room and marked some things. They are treasures to Betty. I came home, got the supper early so as to watch the election returns come in. Reagan was elected by a great landslide.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment