The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, January 28, 2023

December 13 - 15, 1984

 

Thursday, December 13, 1984

 

A nice sunny mild day. I got my work done up then Betty and I down to stay with Fern while the hired lady went to town to shop. Fern isn’t satisfied with her at all, main things she smokes too much. She don’t do any housework. Betty, Walt and Kim went looking for car for Kim. They found one in Paris ,a  1979 maroon Subaru. Kim likes it up but wants to swap with Bill. Bill went with them. Carmen worked.

 

 

 

Friday, December 14, 1984 KIM GOT A CAR

 

Cold today, cloudy. I done up my regular work, watched morning soaps. Then up to Dorothea’s to see a lady about working for Fern. Betty and I to town to shop. Today Kim got her car. She swapped the one she got yesterday with Bill, a 79 Subaru for his 80 blue. She likes the standard shift better because she is used to it. Fern called Betty tonight. She couldn’t wake Regina, the lady working for her. So Betty and Dorothea went down. Carmen was lonesome tonight. Kids looked at a house.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 15, 1984 Kim to work

 

Today Kim to work on her new job at Pleasant Mount. It is a miserable day, snow and rain. I done up my work, washed floors, swept, dusted etc. Dorothea and David called. Bill down town to get cigs in this traveling.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment