The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

September 21 - 23, 1984

 

Friday, September 21, 1984

 

A beautiful day. I did a wash and other jobs. I watched the TV soaps in PM. David called this PM. Dorothea for her treatment. Vince went with her. He had to take some lumber down to the mill to have planes for manual training at school. Billie got the stall ready for the new calf. I cooked fish for supper. Kim busy getting ready to go to Rhode Island with Steve Prouty to see his girlfriend Debbie Woodbury, also the rest of the girls that are at Johnson and Wales college.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 22, 1984 got very nice Durham calf

 

This morning Dorothea and David brought the Durham steer down. Billie bought of him. I made rolls, cornflake pudding, baked the beans. I done up the work, washed kitchen floor. Bill and I went down to see Carmen’s new apartment. She and Kim are going to have. I sure hope Kim gets a job and Carmen too a better one. Bill isn’t very good, he is losing weight. 25 pounds since last of the summer. It is a very nice apartment and pleasant.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 23, 1984

 

A nice day. In PM very mild and quite humid. We didn’t get up till late. I got up at about 7:30. Billie and Bill a dite later. I got the breakfast, done up the work. David came, they had coffee. Later on Betty and Walt came. Carmen called. Dorothea called. After lunch Carmen and I went up to Dorothea’s. We saw the cattle and talked about getting a job at the new nursing home. We went up on the Upper Ridge to the barn sale. Then came home and Betty went up with Carmen and I. We showed her the old pictures of uncle Os and Aunties. We brought them home. The Hatches told us we can have them. Carmen and I rode down to the Clark’s cottage on the Ridge. Billie and David got the mowing machine put away. Also got the calf stall fixed. Billie didn’t get hay. Tomorrow I hope.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment