The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, January 20, 2023

November 15 - 18, 1984 Carmen Working at NCMH

Thursday, November 15, 1984 CARMEN IS WORKING

 

A nice day. Betty and Kim to town, done my shopping and Fern’s. Mary went to. I stayed with Fern. Carmen likes her work at the hospital very much.

 

 

 

Friday, November 16, 1984

 

A nice day, not too cold. I done a wash, watched the morning soaps and some in PM. Dorothea, Betty and Joy all called. I had some good fish chowder at noon. They all had some except Dorothea. Fern is advertising for new woman to work for her. Bill reading all day. Billie busy all day.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 17 1984 6 eggs

 

Cloudy, sunny and windy all day, very cold. Billie and Zak mowing leaves at Fern’s. They got so cold they had to give it up. Mower didn’t work very good. I made rolls, baked white beans. Kim up here, made a good visit. Carmen took Fern’s pills up to her them went to the Dr. at Norway. She has a bad cold and strep throat. I hope she gets better soon. Got six eggs, laying 100% now.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 18, 1984

 

Some sun and clouds. Still quite cold. I been working at the desk making out Christmas orders etc. figuring. Making out Christmas list. Billie and Zak down to Fern’s but her machine (mower) broke down so they couldn’t mow rest of the leaves. Kimmy drove up to Betty’s alone. Carmen still sick. I hope she’ll be better by Tuesday. Bill reading all day.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment