The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 30, 2023

December 20 - 23, 1984

 

Thursday, December 20, 1984

 

A nice day, not too cold. Betty and I over to Norway to grocery shopping. Came home about 2 PM. Fern’s lady came. She is nice. Mary went today. Dorothea went to Portland to take Jeff shopping for Christmas gifts. I came home, got supper etc.

 

 



 

Friday, December 21, 1984 got a Poinsettia from Jeff

 

A quite nice day. I had a busy day, washed, did up the work. I made dark bread, pies and fudge. Billie helped Bill McDade get wood. Then he went to Norway. In evening we went up the road and to Dorothea’s to see lights. None except up to Dorothea’s, her house looks so nice. We called at Betty’s, they are very pretty with all the lights. Zak went with Kim and Carmen tonight.

 

 

 

Saturday, December 22, 1984

 

A quite nice day. Some clouds, mostly sunny. I washed windows, swept, dusted, washed floors, made two pies, lemon meringue, chocolate. I cooked a chicken. Dorothea called. I had a chicken Christmas dinner tonight, had the three Horton kids. Chicken, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, onions, salad, rolls, dark bread, chocolate pie and lemon meringue pie, very good. They enjoyed it very much.

 

 

 

Sunday, December 23, 1984

 

Clear but on the cold side. I got up about 7:15. Got breakfast. Did up the work. Bill took a shower and changed his clothes. Went to town. I did my hair, got ready to have it set tomorrow. Dorothea and Dave called. Joy and Cindy and Zak and Carmen. Carmen and I called at Betty’s. She has to work tonight. Kim working today. Billie and Zak measured Fern’s well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment