The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 2, 2023

September 13 - 16, 1984 Zak's 15th Birthday

 

Thursday, September 13, 1984

 

I went to town with Betty today. I done my work up, I watched TV in PM. Billie busy all day getting early fall chores to going. Betty called. Dorothea called a few minutes. Billie went to the Dr. Sanders today for checkup. They also called at the hospital for Billie’s accounts etc.

 

 

 

Friday, September 14, 1984 got pullets today, Billie to eye Dr.

 

It was showery when we got up. It cleared about middle of forenoon. I did up work, changed beds, did the washing. Made a apple pie, went down to visit with Fern while Carmen, Billie and Zak to the eye doctors. Billie had his eyes tested, he has cataracts on one eye. He has got to wear glasses then have it removed. Dorothea and Joy to Portland. Zak up for his birthday supper. Today Billie bought 6 nice Rhode Island Red pullets from Mrs. Weeks.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 15, 1984 Walter Ambrose Horton IV 15 years today

 

It has been a nice day, not too hot. I done up the work. David came for a while. Billie about the same doing odds and end jobs. Bill is losing weight. Kim called. Zak came up, this is his 15th birthday. I worked on the puzzle. It got cold in late PM. Kim up in evening. We put rest of puzzle together.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 16, 1984

 

A quite nice day for Zak’s 15th birthday. Betty’s family, Bill, Billie, Dorothea, David, Fern and I were the only ones. Mike (blank) a friend of Kim’s came. He goes to Bridgton Academy, he has beautiful brown eyes and black hair. He had a lot of very nice gifts, a motor.

 




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment