The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, January 23, 2023

November 25 - 28, 1984

 

Sunday, November 25, 1984

 

I didn’t get up very early. 7 AM. I got the breakfast, done up the work and wrapped Christmas things. Dorothea and David called and made a long visit. Zak called.

 

 

 

Monday, November 26, 1984

 

A very nice day. I done regular work, washed, ironed and down to Betty’s. She, Kim and I wrapped gifts. Kim later went to Norway with Carmen. I came home, got supper, made a pudding. Carmen was supposed to work at the hospital all day but didn’t.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 27, 1984

 

Very good weather, but we need rain for the wells. I done the overseas Christmas cards and wrote the letters for them. I prepared and cooked a pot roast supper, it was very good. Carmen, Kim and Betty called. Carmen, Kim to Portland to Christmas shop. Carmen got new tires for her car.

 

 

 

Wednesday, November 28, 1984

 

Foggy this morning. It is mild. I cleaned Betty and Dorothea’s gifts. I transplanted my planys. They are antiques. I done a few other odd jobs. Betty called. Billie down to Betty’s for supper. Also Tom, Charlene, Carmen, Dennis, Carmen’s boarder and Carmen. They enjoyed the meal, it was very good. Kim to Portland today enjoying herself with her friends.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment