The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

November 7 - 10, 1984

Wednesday, November 7, 1984

 

A nice sunny day but very cold. Carmen and Kim came up and painted the Cemetery fence. I ironed, watched TV in PM. Down to Fern’s in evening.

 

 

 

Thursday, November 8, 1984 Zak to Dr. Shields in the CM hospital in Lewiston

 

Zak again is having problems with his kidneys. Has had for two day. Walt took him to see his doctor. They relieved him and he is okay now. I hope he won’t have anymore trouble. Billie been busy all day. Bill to the doctor.

 

 

 

Friday, November 9, 1984

 

A beautiful day, it was on the cool side. I been busy. I done up the housework. I washed windows, first time this fall. I made a grapenut pudding. Betty came up, we went to town. Called at the new store Mack’s Place. A grocery store, they just opened up. They are going to try and have a businesslike Warren’s. Carmen, Kim finished painting the fence. They did very well. Three days and a half. Billie and Zak out for supper at Positively Main Street in Paris. Had a good supper. No school.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 10, 1984

 

Cloudy late night and rain. It rained today. We need heavy rain for the wells. Weeks called, Butch, Dorothea and Dave. I done up the work, made rolls. Washed floor and all. Dorothea and David called. Billie over to Bob Thomas’s in PM. Carmen called a little while.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment