The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, May 13, 2022

May 9 - 12, 1982 Mother's Day Carmen Comes Home

 

Sunday, May 9, 1982

 

I had a nice Mother’s Day. Azalea plant from Dorothea and very nice card. A very pretty rose from Carmen. Very pretty card from Kim and very pretty stationary. Dorothea and David called and Kim. Betty Walt and Zak. Betty and Walt a $30 check and a card and a old roaster. Billie $20 bill. Very nice day. It rained all day. I fixed my dresses and done some reading in the B News.

 

 

 

Monday, May 10, 1982

 

This is been a very cloudy day. I dite of showers. I did my hair and a wash. I finished my desk etc. Betty and I went down to Zak’s science fair at his school. His project was very good. Also all of them were good. I came home, got supper started, shake ‘n baked barbecue chicken, baked potatoes, corn, cukes, nice rolls and chocolate pudding and brownies and Kim came up here for supper. I read her biology science paper, it was very good. She got a B on it.

 

 

 

Tuesday, May 11, 1982 HAIR SET

 

It was cloudy when we got up. I done up my work and went down to Barbara’s to get my hair set for tomorrow. I was busy all day. Bill gone most of the day. Billie did the harrowing, got the gardens ready to plow. Betty finished her housecleaning.

 

 

 

Wednesday, May 12, 1982 CARMEN HOME, peas

 

A quite nice day, I was up early. Betty came about 6:30. She and Zak and I went to Orono to bring Carmen home. It was a nice sunny day. It was a very nice ride, but a long one. She is glad to get home. She is going to help work on Ebony. Bill and Billie set out strawberries and planted a row of peas. I hope they grow good and the strawberries. Carmen has some very nice friends up at school. We met them yesterday. Saw Natasha.

 


 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment