The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, May 14, 2022

May 13 - 16, 1982 On This Day 40 Years Ago

 

Thursday, May 13, 1982

 

Mostly cloudy, some sun. I went to town. Betty took us today. Got home about noon. I did some odd jobs, washed windows and finished the washing. I done a lot of other jobs. Billie done the grass trimming. Bill mowed the lawns here and down to Fern’s.

 

 

 

Friday, May 14, 1982

 

Well this is been another rare nice sunny day from sunrise to sunset. I have been very busy all day. I did a dite of wash. Ironed, cleaned the bathroom or most of it except the ceiling. Carmen called and David. Dorothea was here and Betty. They all went down to see about a wharf at the Lake. Billie had his truck at the garage. Kim worked tonight.

 


 

Saturday, May 15, 1982

 

A very nice day. I done up my regular work, washed floors etc. I cleaned Billie’s bathroom. He helped. Carmen cleaned up her barnyard, also did his. Betty mowed her lawns today. Kim worked tonight.

 

 

 

 

Sunday, May 16, 1982

A very nice mild day. I done up my regular work. Picked a nice mess of greens and picked them over. Dorothea and David called this forenoon. Billie went up and helped them move or load some things. Billie got Walt’s ground ready to plant. Wolff’s came over. Debbie and the baby. She is very smart, getting cunning. Tom, Charlene called. Kim got home early tonight, about 10 PM.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment