The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, May 29, 2022

July 7 - 9, 1982 Esther Arrives

 

Wednesday, July 7, 1982 five berries HOT AND HUMID, CUT HAY

 

A very hot and humid day. It seems good after all the raining cloudy weather we have had. I done up regular work. I put a rinse on my hair. Billie and I picked five boxes strawberries. Bill and Betty up to camp. Betty got the painting most done. Bill worked on the building. Billie mowed about two thirds of Walt’s hay today. I hope they can get it in without it getting wet. Worked on the barn again tonight at Betty’s.

 

 

 

Thursday, July 8, 1982 Esther, hot, 6 quarts berries

 

Esther came today for a visit at Susan’s. It seemed good to see her, she looks nice. Betty, Delores and I to town. I done up rest of my work and then I watched soaps in PM. About 3:30 they came and raked the hay then about an hour later they came and baled it. Dorothea called, we had a light supper than they began getting the hay in. Bill, Billie, Walt, Zak, Carmen, Lisa, Betty, Dorothea was the crew. At about 7:30 it was all in all dry and good. How pleased everyone was when it was all in. Now I hope the last batch won’t get wet either.

 

 

 

Friday, July 9, 1982 3 quarts berries

 

Another very nice day. I done up regular work. Then early this morning Esther, Susan and Vince called. Esther looks real nice with her white hair. She seems so pleased to be home. She has got a lot of work to do over to Susan’s. Dorothea and I called in evening and visited for a long while. I cleaned up the house. I cooked hamburgers. Betty and Carmen up for supper. Kim working tonight. Bill, Betty, Kim and Tara up working at the camp all day. Walt and Zak left about 6 AM and went to Rhode Island for the day. They came home about 12 midnight. Dorothea called at Betty’s a few minutes.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment